The people of Kilkenny bought this castle for the bargain price of 50 pounds in 1967.
Kilkenny Castle was built in 1195 to control a fording-point of the River Nore and the junction of several routeways. It was a symbol of Norman occupation and in its original 14th century condition it would have formed an important element of the defenses of the town with four large circular corner towers and a massive ditch, part of which can still be seen today on the Parade. The property was transferred to the people of Kilkenny in 1967 for £50 and the castle and grounds are now managed by the Office of Public Works. The gardens and parkland adjoining the castle are open to the public. The Parade Tower is a conference venue. Awards and conferring ceremonies of the graduates of the Kilkenny Campus of National University of Ireland, Maynooth have been held there since 2002.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +353 56 770 4100
Good To Know
- Very busy site, potential delays during summer months
- Check website for opening times (seasonal opening)
Kilkenny Castle, The Parade, Kilkenny R95 YRK1
See how other photographers on Flickr are taking photos at this location. Click on a thumbnail below to view that photo on Flickr and support the photographer.