Furnished 19th century mansion set among mountains and woodland, with a shop, cafe and working farms.
Located approximately 6 km or 3.6 miles from Killarney town centre, Muckross House and Gardens represent the focal point and nucleus of Killarney National Park. This is Ireland’s oldest National Park and it includes the world famous Lakes of Killarney, as well as the mountains and woodlands that surround them. Muckross House was built for Henry Arthur Herbert and his wife, the water-colourist Mary Balfour Herbert. This was actually the fourth house that successive generations of the Herbert family had occupied at Muckross over a period of almost two hundred years. William Burn, the well-known Scottish architect, was responsible for its design. Building commenced in 1839 and was completed in 1843. Originally, it was intended that Muckross House should be a larger, more ornate, structure. The plans for a bigger servants’ wing, stable block, orangery and summer-house, are believed to have been altered at Mary’s request. Today the principal rooms are furnished in period style and portray the elegant lifestyle of the nineteenth century landowning class. In the basement, one can imagine the busy bustle of the servants as they went about their daily chores. During the 1850s, the Herberts undertook extensive garden works in preparation for Queen Victoria’s visit in 1861. Later, the Bourn Vincent family continued this gardening tradition. They purchased the estate from Lord and Lady Ardilaun early in the twentieth century. It was at this time that the Sunken Garden, Rock Garden and the Stream Garden were developed.
Email: [email protected]
Phone 1: +353 (0) 64 6670144
Phone 2: +353 (0) 64 6630804
Muckross House, Gardens & Traditional Farms, The National Park, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
See how other photographers on Flickr are taking photos at this location. Click on a thumbnail below to view that photo on Flickr and support the photographer.