Visit the cathedral with a spiritual inheritance of over 1500 years in Ireland’s ecclesiastical capital, Armagh.
Saint Patrick’s Church of Ireland Cathedral stands on the hill from which the City of Armagh derives its name – Ard Mhacha – the Height of Macha. By tradition, Patrick came to Armagh and asked the local chieftain, Daire, for the top of Druím Saíleach, the Hill of the Sallows, to build a church. After an initial refusal he was given the site and built his first church in the year 445. It was this church that was the origin of the Damhliagh Mór or Great Stone Church mentioned in the Annals of Ulster in the ninth century. Therefore, Armagh owes everything to its traditional association with St Patrick. As early as the seventh century, Armagh’s primacy was recognized over all the churches of Ireland and to this day it is still the ‘Ecclesiastical Capital’ of Ireland. On the Hill around which Armagh first grew, this Cathedral which stands on the site of Patrick’s ‘Great Stone Church’, continues to be a place of Christian prayer and worship.
Good To Know
- Information for visitors https://www.stpatricks-cathedral.org/visiting/
43 Abbey Street, Armagh BT61 7DY